Saturday, October 29, 2011

Week 8 Final Blog Post

This project has been very useful learning how to apply entrepreneurial ideas and merging it with the class content. It forced students to project and apply what they learned in class and I enjoyed this because it helped me to understand even further the real life applications of a data base or the importance of a foreign key. My idea has morphed from a simple thought to a well planned out company. Beatzburne is a social media profile that introduces users to new artists, songs, and albums through the suggestions from followers and friends. Once users create an account they provide different playlists to give followers and friends a sense for what kind of music they are into. From there, followers and friends can suggest musical albums and songs for users to listen to. BeatzBurne also allows bands to create profiles as a way to communicate with fans through the internet. 
The way my idea has developed is from a simple concept into an in depth operation. The way I started this project I figured I would need a certain amount of hardware, but by the end of the project I have learned specifically what kinds of hardware I would need. For example I will need multiple servers to ensure traffic is smooth and speedy on the web. The programs BeatzBurne will be using are Final Cut Pro X (for music video editing) and The Creative Suite 5.5 Design System issued by Adobe (to edit concert images, band interviews, band photo shoots, and used to advertise the website in an attractive, refreshing image). In the beginning of my entrepreneurial venture I did not know what kind of files the music would be featured on. But by the time we learned about .wav and MP3 files I realized that MP3 files would be a much better use of storage for the music files than .wav. My idea also greatly evolved with the introduction of RFID tags. Originally I thought that BeatzBurne would only be a website, but when RFID tags were introduced I thought it might be a good idea to make a physical store out of BeatzBurne. This would increase our revenue because it is not just an online entity but a physical place where even more people can know about the website. With the physical store for BeatzBurne, the company has the ability to let users meet in a common place and bond over the website as well as having the possibility for paid Meet-and-Greet passes to meet the users' favorite bands. If I did not know about RFID tags I do not think I would have thought up the idea to make BeatzBurne a retail store. My idea has become more complex with the addition of security and monitoring people's safety. BeatzBurne offers the ability to have friends (people the users know in real life) and followers (people who have similar musical interests but the users do not actually know each other). BeatzBurne allows the unique ability to choose whether or not a user can contact you on video chat or text chat the minute the friend request is sent. If we did not discuss the lack of security on FaceBook I probably would not have come up with the idea to make BeatzBurne such a security intensive website. My idea has blossomed from a well thought out concept into a functioning business. With the knowledge of servers, databases to organize data, and what type of hardware will be used, BeatzBurne has the ability to evolve into a real business. 
I think that this project should be continued to be used throughout the course because it forces students to learn and comprehend complex terms because they are putting them into their entrepreneurial ideas. Also, for those students who do hope to launch their own powerhouse website or hope to do entrepreneurial ventures with the internet this project would prove incredibly advantageous. 


The link to the comments I have made are below:


1 comment:

  1. I love music; but most of the time I cannot find the correct artist or the right song to listen because sometimes some of the song is not so good. But I think based on your idea, it will be a really helpful social network that helps people like me to get the music we want by the help of Internet, rather than search them online and get the correct one from tones of useless result. What 's more, I think you can also apply this to those people who love movies; because i also easy to get in trouble with choose the right movie to watch; you may connect the user data for music with the user data in movie because I think someone's taste for movie and music should be similar, then the web may choose the movie that fit user's interest, which get the result from the music side.

    ReplyDelete